Tuesday 12 January 2016

JNANA MATA PUJYA SRI KRISHNABAI By V.Ganesan

JNANA MATA PUJYA SRI KRISHNABAI
By V.Ganesan


“Whatever the means, the destruction of the sense of ‘I’ and ‘mine’ is the goal, and as these are interdependent, the destruction of either of them causes the destruction of the other; therefore in order to achieve that state of silence which is beyond thought and word, either the path of knowledge which removes the sense of ‘I’ or the path of Devotion which removes the sense of ‘mine’ will suffice.”
 – Sri Bhagavan, Spiritual Instructions Ch 1. Q. 11
***
“Earnest seekers who see the Enlightened One and worship him with all the three instruments (mind, speech and body) in unison, offering him with heart-melting love, sweet-smelling sandal paste, fruits, flowers, incense, good water to bathe, clothes and food, will thus attain liberation...”
– Sri Bhagavan, Devikalottara, v. 83-4
***
It was the first time that I was going to another spiritual institution! Carrying within my heart the sacred instruction of my teacher TKS: meet Sri Swami Ramdas, like an arrow I darted straight towards him yet Anandashram, in Kanhangad, Kerala State. It was late in the evening when I reached that serene Ashram. One Sannyasi came near me and put his arm around my shoulders, with tenderness and ease heralding assurance of love, assistance and guidance; and he told me: “You do not know me. But, I know you very well through Sri K K Nambiar!” Later, I came to know that he is the ever-cordial, ever-smiling, ever-affectionate Sri Swami Satchidanandaji, the ever-working human mission of ‘Anandashram’! He hurried me and said, “Come! I will take you to Papa.” Just as Sri Ramana Maharishi is addressed by all, with reverence and affection, as ‘Bhagavan’ always, Sri Swami Ramdas is ever referred to as ‘Papa’.
Pujya Papa, Swami Ramdas, was in a room seated on an easy chair with his legs stretched on a stool in front of him. I prostrated to him and put my head on his sacred feet; and when I raised my head, still reclining, I saw Papa holding his right hand up, his fingers pointing at something. Since I was immersed in happiness, by merely touching his holy feet, I did not make any effort to see what he was pointing at. “If you want to say something to me, come tomorrow morning at 7:00 here and we shall talk it over. Now, go and take rest!” said Papa in his most sweet voice.
The next morning before 6:45 am, I was seated along inside that room, waiting for Pujya Papa to enter. Out of curiosity I was allowing myself the luxury of inspecting the room. All around, the walls looked clean, clear and bright; and there were no photos or calendars hung, except a photo of Sri Bhagavan, right up on the wall opposite to where Papa was seated. I was thrilled to realise that Papa was directing his attention towards it while I was prostrating to him; I remembered what my teacher TKS reverentially told me about Papa that he got his realisation in the presence of Sri Bhagavan; and here I see Papa having in his room the only picture of Bhagavan! While I was drenching myself in such thoughts of euphoria, Papa came in. There was no one else in the room. He looked at me enquiringly and I said: “Swami! I want to talk to you on very personal matters!” Even before I could complete my narration, Sri Papa, with all kindness, but very quickly uttered: “Then, you should go to Mataji. She will deal with you!” He thus, with one of his glorious, famous smiles, dismissed me.
My usual reservation of not putting counter-questions to sages and saints, did not permit me to ask Papa who Mataji was; and I came out of the room, a little puzzled/ Swami Satchidanandaji, who was at that time coming towards the room, hurriedly asked me: “What did Papa tell you?” I told him that he dismissed me so very quickly by asking me to go to Mataji. I then asked him: “Swami! Who is Mataji?” He was greatly surprised: “Don’t you know? Pujya Mother Sri Krishnabai is Mataji! Come, I will take you to her!”
The very first darshan of Pujya Mataji sent quivers of joy in me! I didn’t know (and, no one told also) at that time that Pujya Mataji was a saint herself. I was to know about it only later. So, the experience of sanctity, serenity and saintliness in her presence that I felt was not my mental projection, but was pouring out from her in a most natural way! I am making a specific mention of this only to confirm to fresh seekers that divinity, sanctity, saintliness, sagehood do exist in these extraordinary personalities, independently of one’s apperceiving it with thoughts based on information derived from books or from fellow-seekers.
Pujya Mataji was not well. One, Dr. Leelavati, who was attending her, was with her. Swamiji introduced me to Mataji. Mataji looked at me with all affection, love and compassion and said: “Child! What can I do for you?” I replied: “Mataji! I have problems and I want you to help me!”
She looked surprised ad said: “Then, why did you come to me? You should have gone to Pujya Papa...” Now, it was my turn to be surprised! I felt, ‘What is this? Are they playing football with me!’ Thus, in a feeble voice, I said, “But, Mataji! It was Pujya Papa who sent me specifically to you!” She asked: “What did he say?” I repeated what Papa had told me: “Then, you should go to Mataji. She will deal with you”.
I saw a pleasant but tremendous change coming over Pujya Mataji. She became still, almost silent and stood like a rock for a few moments, and then uttered those glorious words of ‘abhayam’ (acceptance): “Oh! Pujya Papa has said so and sent you to me. That means I have to take complete charge of you. The entire responsibility of yours has thus been entrusted to me. Yes! I am taking you over!” For some time, a steady flow of silence permeated all around. Coming back to her normal poise, she said, “Now, I am not well. So, come here at 4:00 in the evening, when I would be taking a walk in the same place. Then, we shall talk.” Mataji turned to Dr. Leelavathi and told her to promptly be there at that time to act as the interpreter between us.
Sharp at 4:00 o’clock I was in the long hall. Pujya Mataji too entered the hall along with Dr. Leelavati. I prostrated to Mataji and knelt in front of her, and said: “Mataji! I want to talk to you on personal matters.” Mataji looked down at me, with love and asked me: “Do you understand my Malayalam? I can understand if you talk to me in Tamil. So, Leelavati, you may go!”
After she left we both were alone in that long hall; and it is my great good fortune that Pujya Mataji condescended to my level and spoke to me for more than an hour!” The importance and the content of that talk cannot be and should not be gauged by the duration of passage of time alone. It had far-reaching significances! My life-course was given an entirely different turn and I turned a new leaf, by the gracious blessings on of Pujya Mataji!
Still kneeling before Pujya Mataji, I saw her moon-like, peace-showering face, turn to me: “Now, child! Tell me, what is your problem?” The powerful, yet homely presence of Mataji over-whelmed me, with awe and ecstasy and hence it took some time for me to gather all my faculties to open my mouth. “Mataji! I have come away from the world to the austere life an Ashram for good. I took the decision myself. And I am confident now that I would stick to it, at all costs. But, I have two deep doubts: 1. One is, I am now 24 years old, hale and healthy, the body and mind are in excellent conditions, now, I am very firm that I do not want any of the pleasures that money, property, position, power and sex can offer me. I have not an iota of doubt about it at all. But, after 10 year, after 15 years, I do not know whether I will continue to have such complete hold on my bodily and mental conditions. So, I want to know whether may having chosen the path to lead a spiritual life is correct or not. If not, I would now itself switch back to the life of the world, instead of going back to it after so many years. I pray, Mataji, please give me a clear direction, in this regard. The second is, having come to live in the Ashram, and having taken to Sadhana, so early in life, I sought the advice and guidance of the senior devotees of Sri Bhagavan, living in and around the Ashram, to tell me what should be the mode of my Sadhana. Each one advised me differently. One said, learn Sanskrit, another, sit in meditation in the old hall for an hour in the morning and in the evening, yet another, chant the Vedas along with the Veda Pathashala boys; a very strange suggestion also, go away from the Ashram; wander all over India, meet sages and saints; remaining inside an institution amounts to the bird with wings enclosing itself inside its mother’s nest, etc. Etc.  When they were telling me I knew very well that they were very sincere while giving it to me. Yet, Mataji! None of them went in. Not that I was resisting them, but not one of them got assimilated into my system. The puzzle continues. So, Mataji! I want you to guide me as to the nature of Sadhana that I have to seriously adhere and observe, if your answer to my first question is ‘yes’!”
Pujya Mataji seemed very pleased, since while listening to me, all the time, her most beautiful face was glowing and she showered on me a nectar-like smile. She bent down and touched my head; and said: “Child! I bless you! In the very beginning itself, I want to correct you, correct your understanding. Your understating is raised on the wrong foundation. Rectify it now itself, in my presence. So that you can follow rightly what I am going to tell you. You repeatedly said: “I have chosen, I have come away” while talking about your taking to Sadhana and an Ashram life. Have complete faith and conviction that it is not you who has chosen the spiritual course, but it has been chosen by the Lord. You have no other choice but implicitly obey it and follow it! With this basic, right foundation of conviction, listen to me. You are on the right track only. Yet, since you need an assurance, I guarantee that you will succeed in your Sadhana course, and you will swerve from the path till you attain the goal. I will guide you and protect you. Pujya Papa has invested me with that duty; you don’t worry! Go ahead, never look back!”
After some time, she continued: “As for your second question, it is no wonder none of the advises given by others gelled with you, for the simple reason that none of them were meant to be your mode of Sadhana! Your Sadhana is to get back all the old devotees of Bhagavan who had all moved out and are away from the Ashram after Sri Bhagavan’s Maha Nirvana. They are all scattered to many outside towns, cities and places. You beseech them, convince them that the abode of the Master alone is their place of stay henceforth; and thus, successfully bring them inside the Ashram. Then, look after them, make their stay comfortable, and thus attend on them, one-pointedly. They have all sacrificed their personal lives of comfort, power, position and pleasures for the sake of living in the proximity and at holy feet of Bhagavan. Now, you should extend to them, with respect, love and tender care, all these. This is your Sadhana. Do it diligently.” She took a break and rested a while. But, my mind in that split second manufactured a thought: “Yes, I will render this service willingly to the old devotees. But, how about my spiritual practices?”
Pujya Mataji gave me a mischievous smile and again stoked the hair on my head and said, “I know! While you are prepared to do all these, your mind raises the question: ‘what about my spiritual Sadhana?’ isn’t it?  When you do this precious service to the old devotees, one-pointedly, joyously, diligently and continuously, all the stages in your Sadhana at the appropriate times, will get fulfilled automatically. You don’t worry over it. That is my responsibility. I have taken full charge of you, and as such I will be guiding you, through and through!”
Again there was a break. And, again, my mind quickly milled over the thought: “We both will soon be separated by hundreds of miles. She cannot come to Arunachala, and I don’t think, I don’t know whether I could come again to Anandashram.  How is she going to guide me, in my day-to-day life, which I felt was very essential to me at that fluid state of my Sadhana”. Like a lightening, she pounced on me, as it were, of course with great compassion: “You doubt how could I guide you when you would be placed far away from me. Poor child! Have faith. My guidance will protect you throughout your life. You will yourself realise this as time moves on. Anyhow, for your immediate understanding I shall explain as to how I will guide you. If anyone comes to you and advices you, unasked by you, take it that that advice comes from me. Likewise, if something is taken away from you, unasked, even if it be your thought, born of total conviction, don’t resist it, for, it is I who will be removing it from you. I will do both these for the betterment of you and for your spiritual ascendency. Now, I also want to show you, I want to give you a fore taste of what I am going to do for you. Do you have any rupee notes with you?” I took out Rs.100/- currency note. She continued: “Hold it in front of your face. From now on, you will not have the impact of money value. While mathematically you will know its value, etc. intrinsically I am, right now, wiping out from your system, its grip over you. You will, thus, not be corrupted by money power!” I instantaneously felt it drop away from me. Till today, I do not possess the capacity to know the real worth of money power. It is true! Mataji was so great a healer, too!
She walked a little, and again, came to me and said, “I have answered your questions. Now, I want to tell you something of myself. This is to put you in the right track of successful Sadhana. Listen to it carefully!”
I was thrilled that the sacred Mataji had condescended to my level and was going to guide me – what a precious and proud privilege! I still feel that it was purely Sri Bhagavan’s Grace on me that enabled me to deserve the supremely important words of Wisdom and practical guidance that poured forth from Pujya Mataji. I am blessed, indeed!
The Holy Mother continued: “Sadhana is not a means to an end, a means to a goal. It is both the means and the goal. To begin with, as in sports coaching, wherein initially the pupil is told ‘not to do this’, ‘not to hit the ball outside the court’ – all only to focus the pupil, here also, initially Sadhana is introduced to the seeker as a ‘means’ towards the goal. Since the goal itself is already there, that is, your own Self, how can there exist another ‘goal’, other than the one who is striving? So, the Sadhana is merely an initiation to plunge within and be the ‘goal’. That is why it is said: ‘The beginning itself is the end’. The Self in its assumed state of ignorance, it should do Sadhana to attain a goal of Perfection. Sages also go along with such ignorant Sadhakas and say, ‘Yes, Yes, go ahead. Be studious in your Sadhana. Then only you will attain the goal!’ It is all God’s Leela! So, be serious with your Sadhana – it is the beginning, end and the fulfilment of your life’s crowning glory!”
“Learn to use only positive terms. Even for fun, don’t use negative terms, like, ‘No’, ‘I wouldn’t’, ‘I can’t’, ‘Never’, etc. Be conscious and use an alternative, positive expression. Instead of saying ‘I can’t do it’, try to say, ‘I will do it tomorrow’. Negativity in any form, is the realm of the mind; it always pulls you down, gradually but definitely.  In positivity, acceptance and responsibility are thrust on you. People, usually, shin taken burdens. A spiritual aspirant should be prepared, at all times, to own responsibility, for, the whole  purpose of creation is for the Lord to play His Leela. Be a part of it! Take positive attitude and use only positive answers and terms – be vigilant about it. Such adherence to positivity will, in the natural course, build in your strength, humility, simplicity and perseverance – the essential qualities to progress inwardly ahead towards the Truth.”
“Never look back to the past. Always be in the move. Likewise, don’t be endlessly planning or dreaming about the future. Trust the Guru. Have faith in the Path that you have been blessed with. Pay all attention to the Sadhana. Sadhana is done ever only in the now – be conscious of this important instruction. Past thoughts and future desires intrude onto the ‘now’ and rob you away from peacefully plunging into Sadhana – be it ‘Japa’ or ‘Atma Vichara’ or ‘Puja’ or ‘Parayana’ – all these are done only in the ‘now’! While in the ‘now’, i.e. while doing any of these Sadhanas, never allow the memory-thought or the desire-thought to interfere. When a vacuum is created, the nature’s law is that air should rush in and fill it up, instantaneously. Similarly, when through total attention on Sadhana one is plunged in the ‘now’, which is equivalent to creating a vacuum, since the ‘now’ is ever devoid of the contents of memory and desires, these ‘outsiders’, ‘intruders’ of past and future thoughts force themselves into the ‘now’. That is why Sadhakas are ever faced with the apparent insurmountable struggle of being invaded by thoughts, especially when one progresses in Sadhana. Guru’s Grace alone will help the true Sadhaka to win over the ‘invaders’ and remain in the silence of the ‘now’. Therefore, before sitting for meditation, prostrate to your Guru, take to His Name and pray for His blessings, Protection and Guidance and then plunge into Self-Enquiry – Guru, Guru and Guru alone is – you are not!
Be always generous. The giver is ever God only. No human being is capable of producing any of the life-giving commodities. From this you should understand clearly that Giver is God alone. Such clarity will equip you with the inner strength to give away things and more importantly, you yourself not to cling to material objects. By assuming this attitude of positive ‘giving’, one of the stoutest obstacles in the progress of Sadhana – attachment – is triumphed over, with effortless ease! Take delight in giving, generously. All religions, therefore, preach charity and giving alms as vital virtues. Be conscious of the need to be generous as one of the most important traits for progress in Sadhana.”
“Accept things as they come. Lead a simple life. By this, I do not advocate austerity. At your young age, you should enjoy life in its wholeness. Do as you please, but with the string – ‘Will Mataji approve of this?’ – attached to every one of your desires. This will help you decide for yourself, without a hitch, whether the desire is to be fulfilled or to be rejected. Try to live from the heart and not merely through the head. Remember, the intellect acts merely as a safety-valve; it helps to reject the unreal, thus preventing calamities, disasters – that’s all. It can never lead you to the reality. Whereas if you follow your heart, you will never falter, for, it is the inner voice! Its dictates are based on Compassion, Love, Tolerance and Sacrifice. Intellect will urge you to always be the winner, the gainer; heart will embrace you even of you are a loser in upholding noble causes. Be a loser, never aspire to be a gainer, for, the eternal law is that it is those how lose that will ultimately gain!”
“Since you are related to the Maharshi, the greatest Jnani of our times, people will try to brainwash you, saying, ‘Seven generations before and seven generations after the Jnani is born in the family, all will get Liberation, automatically!’ Don’t believe it. The whole humanity is the family of a Jnani. Without doing Sadhana no one will attain Self-Realisation – be firm about this. Being born in the family of a Jnani is most certainly efficacious –people will respect you, adorn you with material things, praise you, adore you, even worship you. Bit, remember, none of these will take you even an inch forward in your inward journey towards the attainment of Self-Realisation. Be ever conscious of this simple truth – this will save you from the biggest pitfall, as you are associated with the Mahatma’s blood-family.
Refrain from projecting yourself as ‘somebody’. No one need know that you are a seeker. Look normal; do Sadhana unknown to the eyes of others. Keep it as a secret and preserve it as a precious jewel. Has not Sri Bhagavan said, ‘There are no others’? It means that you alone count as far as Sadhana is concerned. The Guru knows the sincerity and the depth of your Sadhana; what other forms of recognition should you seek? The Guru guides you both from outside and inwardly. No other aids are necessary. Nothing but Sadhana should matter to you. To preserve the purity of the progress one needs this defence-mechanism of not to project oneself and thus parade oneself in front of others as a spiritual seeker. Become nothing, be nobody. When you thus empty yourself, it is easy for the Guru to come and occupy  your heart, thereby guiding you from within, which is the mark of ultimate progress in one’s spiritual elevation! Has not Sri Bhagavan repeatedly affirmed: ‘Be simple, be humble and be natural’? These three stupendously noble traits a true seeker should aspire for and be rooted in, ever!”
Finally, I want to assure you that you ‘Sat-Guru’ is Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi. You are fortunate to have the greatest Jnani as your Guru. Hold on to Him, cling to His Holy Feet, very firmly. Never swerve away from Him. Never go searching for any other Guru. In your case, it is totally ruled out. Be aware of it, inwardly. If you really get rooted to your Sat-Guru, it will be His duty to make you ripen, spiritually. It can also be by His sending you to learn from other Masters. You yourself do not make any effort to go to other Masters. You will be taken to other Master when the need in the progress of your inward ripeness rises – but, it is not your concern. Unasked you will be led to other Masters; don’t resist any such move when it occurs. Once you have totally surrendered to the Sat-Guru, He guides you through and through. Who do you think has sent you here? It is Sri Bhagavan alone! Is Pujya Papa other than Bhagavan? Why did Papa send you to me? Who is Krishnabai but Pujya Bhagavan? Has not Sri Bhagavan clarified this point by saying, ‘There are no Jnanis; there is only Jnanam’? Only Jnanam counts. To make it blossom in the disciple, the same Jnanam appearing as Sat-Guru, seems to take him to other Masters, who all are also nothing but Jnanam only! But, when you yourself make efforts to ‘go’ to Masters, you will see them only as ‘bodies’. But when the Sad-Guru sends you to Masters, you will see Jnanam only and will receive from them also, as blessings, the Jnanam only. It is the ‘process’ to ripen you, even without your knowing it, consciously! Sometimes, the Sat-Guru’s workings are mysterious; but, be assured that always it is for your spiritual advancement!”
“The Guru is all important. But, who is the Guru? Not just the body, the person whom you see with your eyes as Guru. The Teaching is the Teacher, the Guru. Preserve this secret deeply imbedded in your heart as the most precious treasure. I bless you, Child! You are already blessed by Pujya Bhagavanji and by Pujya Papa. Be assured, my protection, guidance and blessings on you are always there!”
Like a honey-bee coming out of a lotus flower after having its fill, I got up in all joy and freshness, and repeatedly prostrated to Pujya Mataji. The nectar that poured forth from her holy mouth, though very precious, could be understood by me in its depth and purity only slowly, as I began to experience every sentence of hers coming true in my life of inward journey towards the Self! I returned to Arunachala, after a few days’ stay at peace-filled ‘Anandashram’. While taking leave, both Pujya Papa and Pujya Mataji blessed me profusely.
***
I want to record, for the benefit of the seekers, an important incident that took place, during my stay there. Pujya Mataji had instructed me that I should follow and accompany Pujya Papa wherever he was moving, walking, sitting or conducting Satsang, thereby imbibing his grace, during my stay at the Ashram. That day, there was a small gathering underneath the Panchavati (Five Trees) and Papa was conducting a Satsang. A seeker put a question: “Papa! I have been doing Sadhana studiously for the past three years. I am happy and fortunate that I came under your protective influence! I have no complaints at all. I am fully satisfied with what I accomplish in my Sadhana. Yet, there is one doubt. Without any reason for it, sometimes, I get deeply depresses. That is, there is no external cause, like somebody’s death, loss of property or non-fulfilment in Sadhana – none of these cause these depressions. Since the depression occurs of its own, I do not know how to tackle it. Also, please tell me why should it happen when there is no apparent reason for it to occur?”
Pujya Papa gave a sweet smile and told him: “When such an unmotivated depression occurs to a Sadhaka, forthwith he should take up a book on a Saint – it doesn’t matter whether the Saint belonged to the East or the West – and start reading it. Then, the depression which came obtrusively will also get dissolved imperceptibly. But, at those moments of causeless depression, one should not read the Saint’s teaching portion therein. These intrusions of the apparent depression are, for some Sadhakas, part of their Sadhana, viz. the process of exhaustion of their past karma; and as such, the seekers should not ponder too much over it. The mere reading of the life of a saint is the sure panacea for its removal!”
***
It is amazing to me to look back and now realise, how for 27 years, after I have so graciously initiated into my mode of Sadhana by Pujya Mataji, I had no necessity to go back to Pujya Mataji seeking any form of clarification in her Divine Upadesa! This is, perhaps, the proof – if at all any proof is necessary – to gauge the spiritual strength and potentiality of a true Saint!
I honestly admit that I too meticulously followed her course of guidance, without a single thought of any form of resistance or any form of blockage, obstacle. Everything moved so smoothly and so well that there was not a single failure or disappointment in all the efforts. That is, on my return to Sri Ramanasramam, I started gathering details, slowly but steadily, of where all the old devotees were scattered. Like a planned programme, I executed the whole scheme, without telling anyone, including my father who was the Ashram President under whom I was working, the instructions imparted to me by Pujya Mataji. I fortunately, deeply felt that most of the organisers of any spiritual institution are parochial in their outlook in such matters. Especially, when Sri Ramanasramam was at a very low ebb, financially, adding inmates would not, naturally, had been welcomed by the management. More so, for the placid reason that all these old devotees were either basically poor or they were Sadhus!
By the guiding presence of Pujya Mataji, I could succeed, within the course of a few decades, nearly forty old devotees to be brought in as inmates of Sri Ramanasramam. It is purely her grace that I could look after them and to the best of my ability and capacity, fulfil their needs, which were naturally few and far between. Rooms were built, servants were recruited, medical aids were provided; and, most essentially, to support all these, sufficient inflow of donations was to be constantly looked into and attended on! In spite of resistance from some corners of the administration, oft and on, I could successfully look after them, well too! In openly revealing these, I honestly admit that I am doing it not to gloat over myself, but to bring out the greatness of the guiding words of a Mahatma! While offering my prostrations to Pujya Mataji for guiding  me through and through, I also offer my salutations wholeheartedly to those few friends who were always helpful to me, supporting me and extending unflinching assistance to me, in an all round manner, all these years; obviously, I could not have achieved it alone! Forty to fifty great men and great women devotees I would have looked after, in their last days. Thus, my duty included caring for them during their illness and when they dropped their bodies, carrying their bodies on my shoulders (with others helping me) to cremation ground and arrange for either the burning or the burial of those sacred bodies which had had the golden privilege of remaining, drenching in the Divine Presence of Beloved Bhagavan! Every time, I thanked sincerely Sri Bhagavan, Pujya Mataji, the deceased great Bhaktas and all those who helped me! Annamalaikkku Arohara (Absorbed in Arunachala!
In 1987, I visited ‘Anandashram’ for an extremely short stay; so, my meetings with Pujya Mataji were brief and uneventful. I received her blessings in abundance. Those were the days I was overburdened with a calamitous ‘Printing Press problem’, the details of which I narrate in another chapter on the great Siddha Purusha, Sri Yogi Ramsuratkumar (who is a direct disciple of Pujya Papa and Pujya Mataji).
The same Maha Purusha, in 1989, in another mysterious circumstance, directed me to immediately go to Anandashram and be with Pujya Mataji, as long as she wanted me to be with her, as, he said, she was on her death-bed and that she was calling me there! I left for Anandashram the same night.
When I reached the inside premises of Anandashram, Sri Swami Satchidanandaji, who was standing underneath the Panchavati, with a joyous facial expression, was repeating aloud to himself: “Now, I understand! Now, I do understand!” I went and prostrated to him and demanded what he had understood. He said: “Mataji has been telling me, both mornings and evening, for the past one week, ‘Ganesha is coming! Ganesha is coming!’ I was replying to her, ‘No, Mataji! Ganesha cannot come. He is definitely not coming!’ She would insist: ‘No! You do not know, but I do know. Ganesha is coming!’ I used to leave it at that. Now I understand that she was only predicting on your coming here. I was under the impression that Mataji was talking of her son, Ganesha. He is in a mental hospital, Pune, aged 70 years; and will not be released from the hospital unless a requisition letter went from Mataji. As such, I was positive that that Ganesha cannot come at all. How ignorant we are with our collected knowledge and how wise saints are! How madly we cling to and assert of what little we know! Come, come! We will go and meet Mataji!”
Mataji was bed-ridden and very seriously ill. Darshan was restricted to an hour alone in the morning, when all are allowed to see her forming themselves into a queue. Other than that, men were disallowed to go to her, as most of the time Mataji was simply covered with a thin cloth; only ladies were attending on her.
When we entered, after giving sufficient advance notice, Mataji welcomed us with a remarkably glorious smile! Sri Swami Satchidanandaji bent towards her and apologised to her, first; and then said that he could understand now what she was telling him every day throughout the week. “I am glad you have understood it. Stay always in a state of learning!” She turned to me, and said: “Child! Stay here. Take rest. Come every morning and sit where I can see you!” I was in tears, for, I could not bear to see Mataji’s body so emaciated, pale and thin. She blessed me by touching my head. What a great boon of blessings, for so small an effort of mine, of travelling a few hundred miles! Next morning when I entered her room, I noticed Mataji had already put a comfortable stool for me to sit on, near her Holy Feet, so that lying down itself she could see me, all the time. When I tried to sit down, feeling within me as to how could I sit on par with Mataji’s bed height, Mataji insisted that I should sit only on the stool! Every day, when I entered, she would strain herself to see whether the stool was there. She gave me the instruction that I should observe everything happening around and thus be watchful and aware, all the time of my stay with her. It was exceptionally kind and gracious of Mataji to have directed me thus, for, so many things happened which were all very useful and instructive to me. I just narrate only one them for the benefit of Sadhakas.
A young, bright youth, along with his mother came one day and told Mataji: “I am working as an engineer in a good firm in Bangalore. This is my mother with whom I live. I am unmarried. I have been initiated into a Mantra, three years back, by a reputed Sannyasin. My sincerely chanting  the Mantra all these years has not given me any spiritual benefit; I am still where I was. I recently heard about you, Mataji, and that you give initiation into Japa. I open my heart and tell you that I pine for a Mantra. Please initiate me into a Mantra.” Mataji listened carefully and asked him what was the Mantra into which he was initiated. He replied: “The Narayana Mantra: Om Namo Narayanaya!” She advised him to come the next day the same time and that she would initiate him into the Mantra; but, added that he should receive it, recite it studiously and thus make it his own, with all care, attention and sincerity. The next day, the youth and his mother came in. Mataji asked him to lean towards her. She said: “Repeat three times the Mantra, I will be initiating you into. Every time I say it you follow it up by uttering it yourself.” With great eagerness I was following the whole thing. Mataji pronounced the Mantra: “Om Namo Narayanaya.” I was surprised since she was giving him the same Mantra! I watched the youth’s face. It brightened up. With closed eyes and all ecstasy, all the three times, he repeated the Mantra. He was filled with joy; and in all exhilaration, he prostrated a few times to Mataji. She blessed him, with a glorious smile. After they had left, Mataji lifted her head a little up, looked at me deeply and then gave me a smile of grace and blessings!
Naturally, she should have known that I knew two other similar instances already! That is how I would like to interpret Pujya Mataji lifting her head and smiling at me! Therefore, I feel that they too have to be recorded here, for the benefit of seekers.
1.      A wealthy Nattukottai Chettiar came to the great saint of south India, Sri Kanchi Shankaracharya and told him that he was initiated into the hoary Panchakshra Mantra: Om Nama Shivaya: by three different great Sannyasins, at three different occasions. And, that he is sincerely doing the Japa of it, did not bring him any benefit at all. He pleaded with the saint that he be given a fresh Mantra, for, he believed totally only in Japa Marga. The Acharya told him that he would give him the initiation the next day and that he should come prepared for that, which indicated, apart from bringing in the materials for such initiation ceremony, his attitude to preparedness to accept it with one-pointedness well. The next day the initiation took place. The Acharya said: “The Shankaracharya of the Kamakoti Peetham is now initiating you into this Mantra. Receive it with all reverence.” The Mantra given was Om Nama Shivya! The Chettiar received it with all reverence and in complete attention that it started working on him, instantaneously. This Chettiar, we are told, later became a great Japa Yogi!
2.      There was a reputed traditional Ayurvedic physician in Kerala, who was not only respected as an excellent physician, but also revered as a Saint in his region, for his upright character, undivided application to his profession and effecting an almost one hundred per cent cure to all diseases! His name was Dr. Moos (He came and examined Sri Ramana Maharshi’s cancer in His arm and openly expressed thus: “The body of a Jnani is not subject to the laws of ordinary nature. I know I can cure this disease on anyone else, but I can’t even presume to cure a Jnani’s physical ailment, for, its appearance has multi-dimensional reasons. Sri Bhagavan knows best. He has to cure Himself!” After he had left, Bhagavan complimented Dr. Moos, as “a man of true knowledge” and “he knew what he spoke”! One day, a patient came to him, writhing intensely in stomach pain. He told the doctor that he had gone even to England, for he was a wealthy man, and had taken various treatments and different courses, but that nothing helped him. Ultimately, he had started talking about Ayurvedic medicines. He said that he had consulted the best Ayurvedic physicians in Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal; and that all their treatments did not cure him. Dr. Moos examined his pulse and gave him a particular Arishtham (medicine). Seeing that, with great disappointment, the patient reacted, saying: “Oho! This is the same medicine, all these doctors in these three states had advocated to me. No! It doesn’t work, at all!” Dr. Moos, in a tone filled with authority, power and conviction, commanded: “I, Dr. Moos, am now giving you this medicine. This will cure your. Stay for three days here. Now, take the Arishtham, first dose, in my presence!” The patient was cured completely, within those three days!
***
Pujya Mataji Made me stay for a full two months, at ‘Anandashram’, with her. During that period, so many absorbing things happened! Of course, every day, the morning darshan of an hour’s proximity to Pujya Mataji was my elixir! During the early part of my stay, the Navarathri festival was being observed and joyously celebrated all over India. At Sri Ramanasramam, the idol of Goddess Yogambal would be taken out in procession and kept outside its usual inner shrine and decorated attractively depicting various Divine aspects of the Holy Mother, on all the nine nights. After the ninth night, the idol would again be carried in a procession back to her original place. Every year, I was actively participating in that celebration, especially, I used to take delight in carrying the idol of the Holy Mother, on both the occasions of bringing it and taking it back. I got a letter from Sri Ramanasramam that that day was the day of carrying the Holy Mother and that they all would miss me. I was deeply affected to ruminate over the fact that I would miss that golden opportunity of being the carrier of the Holy Mother. This pain was there only as a flash, and then, I forgot about it. That afternoon, someone came to my room and told me that Pujya Mataji was calling me.
When I reached the Bhajan Hall, I was there inside, a chair tied to two long polls and devotees were talking among themselves excitedly. From one of them I came to know that Pujya Mataji, who is all the time bed-ridden, suddenly expressed that she wanted to visit Pujya Papa’s Samadhi and pay her homage there. Since doctors had very strictly prohibited her walking, Sri Swami Satchidanandaji had suggested to carry her on the chair. She smiled at me and there were eight of us. She turned to me and said that I should be in the front (the exact position that I used to occupy while carrying the idol of Mother Yogambal, at Sri Ramanasramam!) We all joyously carried her on our shoulders out of the Hall.
I was in ecstasy since I clearly saw the Divine Hands of Pujya Mataji behind this extraordinarily compassionate act to fulfil a simple need of mine! On the way, when people held out the umbrella over Pujya Mataji, she said, “Hold it over Ganesha. He is getting drenched!” When I heard my name being mentioned, uttered by Mataji, I trained to turn back to her and looked at her, with eyes full of gratitude and joy. She smiled at me and raised her hand by way of blessing me! The acts of Saints are supremely compassionate! Never before or never after, Pujya Mataji ever sat one chair and asked others to carry it on their shoulders! For me, there was no doubt that she was doing that only to appease my longing, on that day, that I should carry the Holy Mother on my shoulders. What a blessing to me that I could happily and joyously carry my Sacred Mother – Mother Yogambal – in flesh and blood, on my shoulders! I should definitely have accrued great punya (merit) in my hundreds of past loves to have this one single act of Grace to descend on me, thereby blessing me! No one else, till now, know why Pujya Mataji acted as she did on that sacred day; nor, did I dare even vaguely or indirectly express to any one that she was doing it for my sake! The relationship between the Saint and the devotee is indefinable – anything can happen, at any time; but, one thing is sure that the tilt of benefit is always more towards the devotee! This incident I cherish in my heart, as an extraordinarily special conference of intense blessings on me by Pujya Mataji.
Another interesting anecdote about Pujya Mataji, I want to share with the seekers. I feel it is important, since it brings out the value and beauty and purport of the need for the seekers to read the reminiscences of and incidents connected with the Sages and Saints. Ever occurrence in a Saint’s life is a ‘sign post’ for the seeker to either rectify his own flaws or to build up his virtues, based on those incidents. Each one of them, thus, is filled with great significance. For those who would find those reminiscences as not applicable to them, would at least have good and interesting reading! Such reading is not a wastage of time, as it would only energise them, When ‘time; dissipates one’s energy, the seeker could be sure that ‘mind’ had predominated, head had ruled anarchically. These readings full the heart with contentment, where time is said to stand still. Contentment, love, compassion – are all pure spiritual traits, since ‘time’ could not play a part therein, i.e., mind is inoperative. Where one’s mind is active in its divisive displays, ‘time’ rules supreme, flooding in elements of disappointment, disagreement, hate, anger, sorrow, jealousy, bitterness and this, a total sense of having being lost! The readings on Saints and their compassion-oriented actions, definitely bring on only a sense of full contentment, a sense of not having wasted ‘time’!
During my long stay at ‘Anandashram’, Sri Swami Madhurananda, a friendly, cordial and affectionate inmate of the Ashram, was taking good care of me. He also has a melodious voice and was the mainstay of the singing section of the Ashram, for decades. During the free times, he would repeatedly ask me to tell him stories and incidents of Sri Ramana Maharshi. I obliged him for a few days. Another inmate (at that time) of the Ashram was Sri Sashikala of Secunderabad, a young ad sophisticated lady. She was close to Pujya Mataji. It was she who was allowed by Mataji to give her food and also attend to some of her personal needs. Mataji had guided her from her childhood; one of the strict injunctions to her by Mataji was that she should abstain totally from talking to men; and, if it was unavoidable due to practical pressures, then, she should not, while talking to them, look at their faces! Perhaps, Swami Madhurananda and Swami Satchidanandaji were exceptions, granted by Mataji herself. Whatever I was narrating to Swami Madhurananda, he went and told her. Sri Sashikala, in her turn, was narrating all the anecdotes to Mataji, while giving her food. On the fourth day, Mataji told Sri Sashikala that instead of her getting the stories via Swami Madhurananda, she should fix up a time with me and hear the stories herself and daily narrate them to her while serving lunch. Swami Madhurananda arranged it in such a  way, daily, at a particular hour in the morning, I would go to her cottage. The chairs were arranged in odd positions that each of us need not look at the other, though we were seated quite close-by.
One day, due to some pre-occupation, Sri Sashikala could not listen to my narration; and the session was dropped. When she went to feed Mataji, she refused to eat the lunch without a Ramana-story! From next day onwards our session continued, in the morning, uninterruptedly.
The very next day, Sri Sashikala would tell me that beautiful reaction of Pujya Mataji for the previous day’s Ramana-story. I was told that Pujya Mataji always called Sri Bhagavan as her ‘grandfather’, while Pujya Papa ever remained as her ‘father’. Thus, Mataji’s devotion to Sri Bhagavan truly was ever deep. After these story-sessions, Mataji started seeing Sri Bhagavan, quite often, in her room. On some days when she was suffering from acute illness, she openly said that her ‘grandfather’ was very kind to her and was all the time with her, consoling her and even healing her! Swami Satchidanandaji told me that one day when Mataji was in a ‘danger’ condition, he rushed to her room. He said that she shouted at him, saying: “Satchidananda! Where were you? Look, my grandfather has come, and He is standing, with His stick and kamandalu, outside the room. Rush, go, invite Him inside the room. Offer Him a comfortable seat! Take dull care of Him. Attend on Him! Don’t just stand here! Go, Go!” When I went to her room, early in the morning, next day, as usual, Mataji game be a benign smile and said: “You see! I told you that Pujya Bhagavanji is my grandfather! Yesterday, when my health condition became critical, Pujya Bhagavanji came, sat near me and healed me!” I was thrilled! Who could gauge the real meaning behind those ‘words’ that the Saints so fluently use! I could do only one normal thing – I got up and prostrated to her! I felt the powerful presence of Sri Bhagavan in her own physical frame, which, of course, was very fragile and was lying flat on the bed!
In the course of my story-sessions, one day I narrated to Sashikala, the pronounced statement of Sri Bhagavan about food restrictions for true Sadhakas, which, I am sure, will remain a permanent guidance to all aspiring seekers. Sri Bhagavan usually ate like all other, whether food that was served on His leaf-plate, at the dining hall. An attendant once put a question to Him as to whether the rich food and varieties that were continuously being supplied at the Ashram were conducive for Sadhana, Sri Bhagavan first retorted at him, saying: “Why complain about anybody or about anything, especially food, easily supplied to you? One is free to limit the quantity of in-take. Also if the preparation was more spicily hot or more salty, add water to it, dilute it and thus eat it, without a murmur. Never complain about food!” After a pass, He condescended to t he level of the devotee and consolingly added: “For a true seeker, doing Sadhana, a little rice and rasam (pepper water – melagutani) are more than sufficient. Even a serious Sadhaka, occasionally needs, something palatable. If he continues to eat only bland food, he may get food-aversion. The tongue needs a little taste and the body-system needs a little nutrition for sustenance. “Rasam’ which is wholly watery, also contains the essence of the pulses, added with a little of spices and salt. Rice gives strength. That is sufficient for a Sadhaka. In addition to this, whatever he eats will bring about only ailments and diseases in the Sadhaka!”
I explained to Sashikala the subtle point, that Sri Bhagavan was both the Teacher and also the taught, the Preacher and the preached. There was no division. Simultaneously, the Saints could experience the states of these two apparently different standings.
People who had watched Sri Bhagavan eat, told me that there was sheer beauty in the way He ate. If the food items were many, He would mix up everything and gulp it. Otherwise, would make a little rice on his plate, add with Rasam or buttermilk, into a think pulp and spread it further and further by adding more and more hot water and making all his right-hand fingers into a spoon and scoop it and thus eat it! Never on His plate even a grain was seen as left over. His eaten leaf-plate looked always fresh and unused! He knew the culinary art almost to its perfection and in toto; he also knew unimaginable remedies for foods that were wrongly cooked, like putting salt twice or thrice into the boiling sambar; when, his remedy was followed no one could taste any addition of salt in the dish, at all! Once when a particular Dhall, even after hours of boiling, did not cook properly, he was asked for the remedy; and he gave the remedy of adding a little oil to be thrown in! The cook was astonished since the dhall soaked in oil would never cook well. But, within a few minutes, the dhall was perfectly cooked! Sometimes, he would go into the kitchen and help the cooks to prepare the varied items. He would partake with such enthusiasm, any onlooker would feel as if he was a glutton and was so fond of food! At the lunch time, when the cooks served the varieties of items, with pride and satisfaction, he would mix them all up together and gulp it without any expression of taste or enjoyment. One day, the cook could not control his disappointment and blurted out: “Oh Bhagavan! How well you prepared them all, pointing out to me how to enrich the delicacy to that particular dish if such-n-such was added or such-n-such way was fried etc. Now, when the cooked delicacies are being served to you, you mix them all up together and gulp it! Is this the way to eat them?” Sri Bhagavan would, with compassion, look at the cook, who had put in so many hours of hard work in preparing the delicacies and say: “What to do? You all have taste in variety; but I have only one taste! Ongalukkellaam binnattule ruchi, yenakku abhinnattulethan ruche!” Also, on another occasion, when a similar complaint was voiced, his reply was most revealing: “Am I eating only with this one mouth. Am I not eating through the mouths of all those who ate?”
Another greatness of Sri Bhagavan was that while he knew very well that a little rice and Rasam were enough for a Sadhaka, he never insisted that that alone should be served in the Ashram. He subjected himself to the prevailing condition, as if he were also equal to and one among them. Only a keen observer could notice that he himself restricted the intake quantity to the minimum, whatever the number and the delicacy of the preparation. Thus, he showed by living whatever he preached was possible for all serious aspirants. This all Sadhakas should observe, that is, one should not create any problems to those who offer food, either an institution or mother or wife, or sister or friend! Thus a Sadhaka can live anywhere, without any sort of friction! The emphasis that Sri Bhagavan gave was always on the individual and never that much on the social environmental conditions. In WHO AM I Sri Bhagavan says, “If one’s mind is rendered non-wandering, one can live anywhere.” No disturbance could be caused to any serious aspiring Sadhaka from external sources; and, that everything rises only inwardly, which the Sadhaka should gain control over, was his practical teaching!
***
At about 2:30 in the afternoon, I got a knock at my door and a lady was offering me a big cup full of ‘Rasam’ saying: “Mataji wanted this to be given to you. Please drink it.” I asked her what was the matter. She said: “Oh! Every since Sashikala told Mataji the story about the Rasam, she refused to eat the already prepared lunch and asked us to prepare the Rasam; and that she would henceforth take only Rasam and rice, as advised by her grandfather! She also wanted us to prepare a lot of Rasam, and it is being distributed to every one of the inmate of the Ashram, just as I have brought it to you.” I was thrilled – what immediate compliance and what great humility! No need to repeat here that when I went to Mataji the next morning, her query to me was: “Did you drink the rasam yesterday?”
This Rasam episode is a practical, useful and vital guidance for all true seekers all over the world. Seekers in the West may not be able to get rice and Rasam, but they can minimise their intake of food, without richness in content. It can be a few slices of bread and a soup! But, here is a clear instruction from Sri Bhagavan and fully approved and followed by revered Mataji that matured sadhakas should not turn their full attention only to the practice of Self-Enquiry or whatever is their mode of Sadhana, and consciously (to begin with) refrain from paying too much attention towards richness and varieties in food. Of course, one can occasionally indulge in the ‘luxury’ and ‘distraction’ of varied food in unavoidable parties given by friends or when guests arrive at home, or on holiday trips etc.
Pujya Mataji made me stay with her for two full months. My father had sent her a letter requesting her to send me back. She asked me to go back. The next day when I went to her presence, she asked me: “I feel you want to say something to me Child! Please go ahead, tell me.” I was moved to tears since I was reluctant to do so, though I was longing to do, taking her ill-heath into consideration. She was so great, she could understand any predicament and condescend to permit me to do so.
I gathered all my energies and still was struggling to talk. Since I was sitting a little away from Pujya Mataji, she motioned me to come nearer. She touched my head. This gave me confidence. I said: “Mataji! More than twenty-five years ago, you were gracious to me by giving me the commandment of guidance as how my future Sadhana-life should be conducted. You protected me and guided me through and through, as assured specifically by you, then. There arose no need for me to come to you for either additional personal guidance or any sort of clarification thereof. Everything went off very smoothly and objectively. You thus proved literally true that from hundreds of miles away you could guide me with meticulous care and details! I obeyed you; and, by your grace, I could do things with the right understanding: ‘It is Pujya Mataji who is guiding me to do this’. Without a tinge of arrogance and self-gloating, I report the following: Sri Ramanasramam, which was in debts when I went for good there, is now ‘very rich’. Due to the regular inflow of large donations, an all-round improvement could successfully be effected. Many guest rooms and guest houses have been built for the convenient stay of the Sadhakas. All important manuscripts, lying in the archives, have been brought out in book-forms. The Ashram journal THE MOUNTAIN PATH was started and through its pages, the name and fame of Sri Bhagavan are well spread, all over the world. Old devotees were requested to write down their reminiscences of Sri Bhagavan and most of them have already been brought out as books, which are very popular with devotees.
Mataji! You especially commanded me to bring back all the old devotees who had gone away from the Ashram, make them as inmates, look after them well and attend on their needs. Now, I am in a happy position to report to Mataji that nearly forty to fifty old devotees had been looked after, by keeping them at the Ashram premises. Not only their physical needs were met, but in their last days all medical care were bestowed on them. Along with others, I myself carried their bodies, once they chose to drop their bodies, to the burial ground and buried them or cremated them, as per their wishes. Only, tow more old devotees are left. When they also attain the lotus feet of Sat-Guru Sri Ramana, my work at the Ashram is completed. Henceforth, I want to totally dedicate myself to inner Sadhana, dictated by Sri Bhagavan. I want to become a ‘nobody’ Mataji! Let me dissolve, disappear as an unknown entity, seriously seeking the Truth. Any form of responsibility, I want to shun, for the only reason for pursuing the Sadhana. Please bless me that I become absolutely free – spiritually, mentally and physically!”
Mataji asked me to come still closer and took my head on her lap, and said: “Who are the two devotees, who are fortunately still alive and how old are they?” I replied: “One is Sri Kunji Swami and other is Sri Ramanaswamy Pillai. The former is 96 years old and the latter is 97 years old! Both are remarkably agile and healthy. I am very fond of them. I do not want them to leave me. They are so precious!”
Pujya Mataji touched my head again and said, in a very firm tone: “My child! I will grant you that state of Total Freedom. It is my responsibility! But, there are a few things yet to be completed by you, through you. After that, you will be free. Till then, be patient and attend to the work entrusted to you. Face all problems with fortitude. Bear all forms of insults, acts of ingratitude and deprivation – all these affectations would come; you have to face. They will only strengthen you and prepare you well to pursue the arduous Sadhana that you have chosen. Never lose heart. Remember! I am with you, all the time! My blessings are fully on you! You are ever blessed by Pujya Bhagavanji!”
I got up with immense emotion and repeatedly prostrated to Pujya Mataji. My eyes were filled with tears, which prevented me from seeing that the most beautiful divine form. I cried, with intense gratitude. I went into ecstasy over the spiritual assurance given to me by Pujya Mataji.. She is, no doubt, the Holy Mother, indeed!
From 989, when this inspiring conversation took place, to 1995, when I was fully relieved of all my responsibilities, with regard to the Ashram management, many things had to be fulfilled and accomplished by me – the words of Mataji thus proved true!
Till 1995, things moved for me smoothly and there were no heart-burning frictions, not even a hot argument! So, I didn’t understand why Pujya Mataji had said: “Face all problems with fortitude. Bear all forms of insults, acts of ingratitude and deprivation.” All these stated happening, lashing at me, once I removed myself from the responsibilities of officialdom and while I was in the process of being a “nobody”!
The next few years were ones that caused so much of external imbalance that did hurt me deeply. However, I was also fortunate to be aware that in that very process of uncertainties, a thin filament of dispassion, one-pointedness and inner stability was getting solidified inside me. The potent words of Pujya Mataji: “They will only strengthen you and prepare you well to pursue the arduous Sadhana that you have chosen” were happily realised as prophetic! The tragedy of it all was that those who were very close to me and were the beneficiaries of my good disposition, all these years, turned the tables against me! Yet, again, as assured by Pujya Mataji, she stood by my side protecting me, in the form of a few remarkably dedicated, honest, helpful and understanding friends who relentlessly extended their support to me, during this unavoidable period of “the dark night of the soul”!

I am writing this truthful and dedicated account, about Pujya Mataji, the Holy Mother, seated on the banks of Ganga Mataji, the universal Divine Mother, who ever pours forth on seekers, Her Grace and Blessings, for the sole purpose of which She came out of the Jadhamudi (matted-hair) of Lord Shiva!

1 comment:

  1. Świetnie jest ten artykuł. Mam nadzieję, że będzie ich więcej.

    ReplyDelete